Former British soldier Jordan Gatley 'shot and killed' fighting on the frontline in Ukraine
A former British soldier has been “shot and killed” while fighting Russian forces on the frontline in Ukraine, his family have said. Jordan Gatley left the British Army in March and flew out to Ukraine to help at the beginning of the invasion “after careful consideration”, wrote his father Dean Gatley in an emotional tribute on Facebook. According to the post, Jordan was killed amid intense fighting in the city of Severodonetsk in eastern Ukraine. His father confirmed “the devastating news that our son, Jordan, has been shot and killed in the city of Severodonetsk, Ukraine. Severodonetsk has been the scene of intense fighting recently, having been the focus of Russia’s offensive for weeks. It is one of the final areas in the occupied Luhansk region that is still controlled by Ukraine and there are said to have been high numbers of casualties on both sides.
Mr Gatley continued in the heartfelt post: “We have had several messages from his team out there telling us of his wealth of knowledge, his skills as a soldier and his love of his job. “His team say they all loved him, as did we, and he made a massive difference to many people’s lives, not only soldiering, but also by training the Ukrainian forces. “Jordan and his team were so proud of the work they were doing and he often told me that the missions they were going on were dangerous, but necessary. “He loved his job and we are so proud of him. Hundreds of people have offered their condolences in response to the post, which was published on Saturday night. Jordan is the second Brit to be killed while fighting Russian forces in Ukraine after Scott Sibley, 36, died in late April.
Mr Sibley was also a former British soldier who travelled to the warzone following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. It comes as two Britons and a Moroccan man fighting in the Ukrainian army have been sentenced to death by a pro-Russian “court” in eastern Ukraine, sparking international outrage. Aiden Aslin, 28, and Shaun Pinner, 48, were sentenced on Thursday alongside Moroccan national Saaudun Brahim in the self-declared and unrecognised Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR). The men were captured last month by Russian forces while fighting in the besieged south-eastern port city of Mariupol.
Read full article at iNews